Wednesday, August 12, 2009

do look down

I'm kind of excited about a nifty new feature I've added to the blog.

The folks behind Ameritocracy, which I blogged about last year, have been developing an app called "Insight" for use on individual websites which provides a space for the same kind of feedback ameritocracy.com did, only this time, it's website content that can be responded to, questioned, and evaluated by your readers.

It's not really meant for a little personal blog like this one, probably. But as it's in beta testing and free right now I thought it would be fun to use for awhile.

Look down at the bottom of the page, and you should see a little bar that invites you to highlight text and give your feedback. I think you will need to become a part of my "group," which I named "posthumans for a liveable world," and feedback, in the form of questions or comments or facebook-like quick ratings (think the "like" button Facebook status updates, only with more options) is displayed on the group's page.

I think what I like most about the app is that is highlights some of the basic functions of any epistemic community and the way that knowledge is collectively constructed by those that are a part of it. All of the same things happen in the commentary already to be sure, but the app makes it a little more obvious how/why pieces of knowledge get constructed the way they do, by making explicit evaluations and sources of info, etc.

So, if you're as into social epistemology as I am, enjoy! If not, you can still join us posthumans in our attempt at constructing a liveable world. I mean, the more the better...seriously.

1 comment:

JJT said...

Or you may see just a little box in the lower left corner with a little aqua "in" inside it, and you can click on that.

And you can participate as guest user 10 times before needing to register, which is nice.