Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Nanowrimo


My Facebook status optimistically proclaims that I am dissertating but really, I'm doing this. Brain's not working too well yet, gotta slide into the day kinda easy.
Since I can now drink coffee again, I've decided to get serious with the Nanowrimo thing. I let myself coast on last year's word count for the first 2 weeks, and then realized that was totally stupid. It's probably cheating, actually, and it certainly violates the spirit of Nanowrimo, and it didn't do anything for my writing discipline either--which is really the whole point. Of course, it's not like I've been sitting around on a beach sipping tap water at my leisure or anything. If all the verbiage I've produced this month went into my novel word count, I'd probably already be at the finish line. But those words get divided up into two sermons, a bible study and a dissertation chapter. (And a couple of sad little excuses for a blog post, barely worth mentioning.)
But, I had a great night a few nights ago where I wrote about 3,000 words in one sitting, resulting in this new surge of affection and enthusiasm for my little novel idea. Things are coming together, and even better, new connections and possibilities keep popping up, and so fast that sometimes I can't keep track and some of them are going to get lost before they can get written. But I have a whole new theoretical angle to work into the thing now, one which very nicely captures the kind of tension and ambiguity I want this posthuman (of course!!!) novel to have. And I may even be closing in on a title--something which, as Dr. John could attest (that is, if he at all remembers me) from my Creative Writing course with him at Harding, I have a dreadful time with.
Plus, I'm writing exciting stuff now like birthing scenes...and eventually will work up the nerve to write a steamy sex scene between two virgins, a cyborg and an illegally genetically engineered guy. Yup. It just doesn't get any better than that, folks.
So, I'm going to put a little word count widget on this blog somewhere and do my very very best to catch up. I'm still way behind, and don't manage to write every day, and that's a problem. So I'm looking for motivation and that is what this blog post is all about.
Any other Nanowrimo's out there? I could use some writing buddies...

6 comments:

TKP said...

You are so weird and hilarious and I love you. I better get to see your final work. Or else!

R-Liz said...

So, I'm curious about your process of writing. For instance, with all these ideas that are popping around in your head, do you jot them down so they won't be forgotten, or do you wait until you're able to give time to their expression and development before you let them escape your head?

I'm looking for tips here. I feel like I've had lots of thoughts and ideas I've needed to express, and I'd rather do it sitting at a computer, but that's been tough lately with home-life and sharing a computer with the hubby (which is also the hubby's "work" computer, so he generally gets dibs).

Any ideas you have on how to effectively capture all the thoughts that can roll around in a head-- I'd love to hear.

JTB said...

In the past I've used a lot of post-its. And for a couple years I carried around a little notebook to jot down dissertation-related things in. This was pretty helpful. In a lot of cases ideas turn up, disappear and then come back later. And a lot of times I get these thoughts while drifting off to sleep that seem like the most profound thinks I've ever thunk, only to be unable to reconstruct the coherency I thought they'd had in the morning. A lot of the novel stuff seems to have disappeared on me for today, but I am hoping that waiting quietly will bring it back around.

Anonymous said...

So, the cyborg and the illegally genetically engineered guy ARE the two virgins, or are you planning some crazy techno-foursome?

'Cause, you know, I bet that would be kind of intimidating for the virgins, especially if the cyborg and the genetically engineered dude had some previous experience...

JTB said...

Nope, no foursomes. It's kinda hard to get normal teen sexual experience when you're illegitimate unnatural freaks in theocratic America.

Casey. said...

I've been terribly unsuccessful in my Nanowrimo endeavors. I didn't write a word, but simply tried to use something I had started last year. And even then, added nothing. But I do have like 3 days to write furiously. Anything could happen.