Saturday, December 17, 2005

gross

my nose, my nose
is a snot hose

she blows she blows
where it all comes from
nobody knows.

gross.


I read in a book somewhere that this can happen in pregnancy. I think this means that I can look forward to this miserable slimy condition from now until June. I'm trying everything I can, to no avail: I sleep with Breathe Right strips on my face (unpleasant to remove but at least marginally helpful to keep you from drowning in your snot while you sleep); I've been using Brent's Neti pot every morning (unpleasant because it can make you feel like you are actually drowning but does a swell job of flushing out your snotty head). I run through boxes of tissues. Today I think I'll add walking around with a stinky mentholatum mustache. See what desperation leads to? (And yet, I really like breathing...and I bet the kid does, too.) But now my throat hurts because there's so much snot that while I think the majority of it is content to get blown out of my nose, some of it is impatient and has found an alterative way to make me miserable: the post-nasal drip. I know my body's wigging out on me, but this is ridiculous: how can it be so far gone that it's into producing not just one but two rivers of snot? Shouldn't it be concentrating on making other bodily fluids, that amniotic sac stuff, all that extra blood that's supposed to be circulating? Why snot? When the kid gets old enough to ask questions, I won't be telling about how dreadfully cold it was when I was pregnant, or how my back hurt, or whatever. I'll be saying, "when I was pregnant with you my body tried to drown me in snot. It was horrible. I still haven't forgiven you completely." This will probably produce a warped vision of human procreation during those formative years--but come to think of it, if the kid grows up thinking that sex involves inordinate amounts of mucus, perhaps that will serve as useful deterrent come adolescence...

4 comments:

TKP said...

but where does all the snot come from? i hope you have good quality kleenex.

pat said...

FYI: Snot (aka mucus) is lining your nose, your lungs, and other unmentionable cavities in your body to protect your innerds from foreign invaders (i.e. germs). When you get a cold or flu, then your body increases its production of mucus to help get the bad guys out. On a good day, you produce about a cup of mucus...or a sick day, a whole lot more. So, that's the story on snot. We need it...it's a good thing.

pat said...

FYI: Snot (aka mucus) is lining your nose, your lungs, and other unmentionable cavities in your body to protect your innerds from foreign invaders (i.e. germs). When you get a cold or flu, then your body increases its production of mucus to help get the bad guys out. On a good day, you produce about a cup of mucus...or a sick day, a whole lot more. So, that's the story on snot. We need it...it's a good thing.

JTB said...

Maybe I could consider collecting my excess snot and selling it or donating it to those less productive and "fortunate"?